My initial RE appointment was Monday. It's taken me a couple days to write this post, since we were waiting on a few tests, coming to terms with a few results, and deciding our best steps moving forward. Here's where we're going in a (not so concise) nutshell.
Our initial RE appointment on Monday went well. I spent about an hour talking with the doctor, who definitely seemed to listen to my concerns, looked over my charts, and didn't make me feel rushed or just another lemming in his rotation. I also really liked the two nurses I spoke with. During my appointment we went over our basic medical histories and talked about our year TTC. By the end of the appointment he mentioned that PCOS might be a possibility based on my longer cycles, past issues with weight loss, and other factors. So, he wrote me a Rx for a blood analysis to check hormones (I actually went to a clinic later that day to have blood drawn and sent out for analysis). He was slightly concerned about my ovulation since I tend to ovulate later in my cycle, I have spotting early in my LP, and I’ve had several LPs 18+ days (he actually mentioned that he thought my second cycle looked like a pregnancy chart).
Then he finally asked what my hopes were moving forward. I let him know that we were ready to hit the ground running as far as testing/treatment went. I didn’t want to wait out any more cycles just "seeing what happens", and wanted to get started as soon as possible. So, he mentioned we could do an IUI this cycle, since I was still a week out from O. He said I could call the morning I get a +OPK and they would schedule the procedure for the next day (with progesterone Rx after). He also mentioned it would be a “down and dirty” way of getting a SA on DH. I mentioned that without having a HSG we wouldn’t know should I have a blocked tube. He agreed, but said the likelihood of me having one or both tubes blocked without a history of endo or a previous STD was slim. If we chose not to do the IUI this cycle, we talked about moving forward next cycle with a HSG for me, a SA for DH, and then Clomid (with u/s and monitoring), trigger and IUI.
After getting prices for all the testing and treatments (we're completely OOP), DH and I sat down and discussed our options. I was willing to take the gamble of the IUI this cycle (even without knowing if there are any problems) because I'm anxious to get things moving. He didn't feel the cost was worth it, not having all the information (and the fact we'd still have the cost of everything next cycle). After considering everything, and talking it over with some awesome Bump ladies, I agreed. So, our plan is now in place. I will call on CD1, Clomid days 3-7, we'll get a HSG in before CD10, trigger and IUI. We'll schedule his SA before my next cycle begins once we get through my fertility window, which should be sometime in the next week.
On Wednesday I called the REs office to let them know our plan and ended up talking to my new favorite nurse. She actually spent about 40 minutes talking things over with me, explaining what would happen next cycle, and being generally amazing. She also mentioned that my blood results were back in and although the Dr. hadn't seen them yet, based on her experience, she was pretty sure I did have PCOS (she told to me to call back the next day to get the official report from the Dr.). She also invited me to a Fertility Support group she hosts on Wednesday nights. So, I went. Actually, it was awesome. TB has been invaluable to me over this last year; the people I've "met" have been amazing. But, there was something powerful about meeting other women face-to-face. I'll definitely be going back to their next meeting.
On Thursday, I called back to get my official blood results. I do have PCOS. My androgen numbers are barely above normal, but they are above. Combined with trouble losing weight, and a year without getting pregnant, it's enough for a diagnosis. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. It's not so much that I have PCOS, more that I've gone my whole life and didn't know about it. On Monday, the Dr. had already mentioned Metformin. Yesterday, they also mentioned something that starts with a D (honestly I forget what). Basically, Met is to help my body digest sugars properly so it doesn't over produce insulin and the D drug is to lower androgen levels.
So, it's been a busy week in this household. The nurse was very positive that simply being on the medications will help increase our chances. I'm more excited about our chances with the IUI next cycle, but I guess we'll see. For now we're just going to ride out this cycle and hope for the best. Overall I'm very happy with my RE's office. Not only do they have amazing people working there, they also seem to be doing all the proper testing/monitoring I know is necessary. I can't wait to take the next step forward and get this show on the road.
I am so happy that you have a plan, Sun. Even though the PCOS diagnosis was unexpected, at least it gives helpful information. I am rooting for you, friend!
ReplyDeleteI'm happy to hear you had a good experience with the RE and the nurses there, and glad you have a plan in place. We just started cycle 11 and I'm seeing this could be in our future (seeing an RE) so I really appreciate you sharing your experience. Wishing you lots of luck going forward!!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you have a good plan and feel that you are moving forward. I think I would have gone forward with the IUI this cycle too. Good luck! I'm hoping that it works for you!
ReplyDeleteAren't nurses awesome? I have the best nurse too. I call her Wonder Woman Mary. She's a God send.
ReplyDeleteThat's awesome that they have a support group. Good luck with the remaining tests and I hope the time passes quickly to start some treatment!
This sounds so exciting for you, to know maybe what the issue is and moving forward with a plan. It's also wonderful to hear your RE's office is great!
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you found a great RE office! Glad you have a plan and are moving forward. GL with this cycle!
ReplyDeleteThank you all for your support. It really means a lot to know I have awesome people in my corner. :D
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you got some information and have a plan in place!! I have been hoping each cycle it would happen for you...it's going to happen soon, I just know it!
ReplyDeleteWas the D drug dexamethasone? It's a low dose steroid that helps suppress the androgen levels (testosterone).
ReplyDeleteI'm glad that you have a plan! Good luck!
Yes! I just went and picked it up from the pharamacy today.
DeleteThis is awesome Sun!! Lets get this show on the road for a healthy and happy baby :) Rooting for you
ReplyDeleteI'm so happy to read this update. While the PCOS is a surprise, having some answers and a plan is such a great feeling. Totally rooting for you!
ReplyDeleteHey lady, I'm so glad that you have a good plan in place and that you are in a practice that truly cares about you as a patient. <3
ReplyDelete