Tuesday, December 24, 2013

People are Awesome

So yesterday I got a text from one of the ladies in my math department.  She said she didn't want to pry into our personal life, but that if I wanted to talk she was a friendly ear and that she/her husband had to work really hard to get their daughter (This colleague team teachs with one of my very good friends who has known about our whole journey.  I'm guessing that friend told a few details to her).  She went on to say that she had entered a contest at a local mom/baby spa and had won a free massage for herself and a friend.  She wanted me to be that friend!

Apparently the spa has pre-conception massages (which she did a few times prior to conceiving her daughter).  She explained that she wanted to share this with someone else who might be having a hard time TTC and at the very least she knew it would be a nice gift.

I was trilled and touched (and who doesn't like a free massage?).  It was also nice just to talk to someone who has been through the turmoil of IF.  She shared with me her journey (which included IVF) and I opened up about our journey and loss. 

You just never know who in your life has been touched by IF.   It seriously is one of those dark secrets no one talks about.  Obviously I'm over the moon about the massage (I'm going to try and schedule it next cycle around our IUI), but more importantly, I've made another IF connection.  It is an amazing feeling to bring all this out into the open and connect with another person who understands.

7 comments:

  1. What a great gift, especially at this time of year. You will have to post about it. Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How incredibly sweet! That is a wonderful thought she had to invite you and share her story. I'm so glad you're taking her up on it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so sweet of her!! You are right about IF being like a deep dark secret. I can't tell you how many people shared with me their struggles and stories of of loss after our miscarriage. I couldn't believe that that had happened to so many people I knew, they just hadn't talked about it before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so nice of her! And great that you found someone to share your story with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a thoughtful person to offer something like that. I'm really glad you made a connection to someone who can relate.

    - Pugmum

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so sweet of her! Enjoy it! It's definitely nice to have someone IRL that you can connect with about IF. Enjoy the massage!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's wonderful that you were able to connect with your colleague like that! Enjoy the massage!

    ReplyDelete