The kids are driving me crazy this week. Hopefully I can condense.
Yesterday a girl in my last class lost her phone. We had partner work going on in class and later switched to group work (during both cases the students switch seats to get with their partner/group). During group work, the girl student comes to me and says she's lost her phone. It was in her desk and now it's gone. We all look around, everyone checks their desks, checks their pockets, the floor. Nothing. I ask her if she has the "Find my iPhone" app. She does, so I head to my computer to open the website. Before I can, someone finds it on the floor. Everyone is excited, students exit, end of day.
Me, being the super teacher I am, knew immediately that the phone didn't magically appear on the floor (after we had already looked there). Someone obviously dumped it there when they realized we were going to locate it using the app. Unfortunately, since it all happened at the very end of the school day, I wasn't able to do anything about it until today. I started by questioning the student who had found the phone. And then several more students when they came back to class. This was after I had given the whole class a "Be careful with your electronics and I don't think this cell phone was really lost" speech. Then, towards the end of the class, a little boy writes me a note saying he saw another little boy with the phone. I talk to them both separately, then together. The first little boy stuck by his story that he saw the other with the phone, the second denied he had ever held/touched/seen the phone. So another day ends with nothing resolved.
Until I get home and see an email from the mom of the boy who was accused of taking the cell phone, asking me to call her. Apparently the boy was really upset. His mom just wanted to know what had happened and get my version of events.
Bottom line. I still don't know who took the cell phone and I've spent two days trying to figure this thing out. Someone in the group is a liar mcliarson with sticky fingers. I realize as I type this out it doesn't seem like that big of a deal, but I've had to invest way more time than necessary trying to sort everything out. (If you're a teacher yourself or have even been in charge of a large group of kids, you'll understand. Sometimes I feel like the last thing I do is teach. Everything else seems to come first!)
Seriously. This all could have been avoided if ten year olds weren't bringing brand new iPhone 5s to school.
"I realize as I type this out it doesn't seem like that big of a deal"
ReplyDeleteI disagree. I think it is a very big deal and the situation completely merited the time, energy, and sleuthing you're putting into it. Don't sell yourself short when it comes to your teaching decisions.
"This all could have been avoided if ten year olds weren't bringing brand new iPhone 5s to school."
This, this, and GOOD GAWD, this. It's absurd.
I agree. Besides being just a TAD ostentatious, parents are tempting fate by entrusting something that valuable to a child.
ReplyDeleteI hope the rest of your week goes more smoothly! :)
Bleh that sounds so annoying! Little thief! Lol
ReplyDeleteI teach high school kids and can absolutely relate. What gets me sometimes is that not only do the parents allow these kids to bring their iPhones/Blackberries to school but then they spend the day texting or calling their kids, knowing full well that those kids are supposed to be in class. You know, actually learning something. Then they wonder why their kid gets no work done and is behind. You can't win.
ReplyDelete(I'm spacepotatoes on TB, by the way)
No you did the right thing. If a kid will take another persons phone at that age then it could turn into a bigger problem. Even if you really couldn't 100% for sure say it was him, at least he knows that he was caught. And I agree, I can't believe 10 year olds carry iPhones. (I'm sueann911 on TB)
ReplyDelete