Weight: 5 pounds, 5 ounces (as of Friday)
Sleep: It's definitely been an adjustment since little man came home. H has been home from work with me (thank goodness) and has been amazing! He gets up with me at night to get the process started with a diaper change. Then he heads back to sleep as I feed baby O. He's also takes over around 7am and lets me grab a couple solid hours of sleep.
Luckily, little man seems to be in some sort of pattern the last two nights. We'll see if it lasts, but as long as we don't let him sleep too long in the evenings, and keep him nice and full, he seems to give us three hour stretches at night. Two nights ago we even got a 5 hour stretch! Hallelujah!
Milestones: Does having a baby count? Besides that, I think our biggest accomplishment this week was simply surviving. We have keep things rolling along for an entire week. We've kept baby happy, fed, and alive for 7 full days and nights. That seems huge! (Especially considering I should still be pregnant for another week!).
We also made it through a full week of breastfeeding. Man, those first couple days were rough! We're still finding our rhythm, but I think we're doing well for only being a week in. My milk came in on Wednesday and things have been smoother since then. Also, little man's cord fell off yesterday. It's been a busy week!
How Do I Feel? Physically I'm feeling better every day. I was pretty sore for a couple days. Especially around the stitches they put in. I took my ibuprofen pretty strictly for several days. But yesterday and today I find I don't need them as often as prescribed. Once in the morning and at night seems to be managing things nicely. H and I even took O and the pup for a walk this morning. It felt amazing to stretch my legs and be outside for a little while :)
Emotionally, I am overwhelmed with love for this little person we created. I was starting to feel a little panicked about caring for a newborn, but I honestly think I was born to do this. I know there will be challenges (many of them I'm sure) but this little man is my whole world now. He is amazing and a perfect little piece of me and my H. I can't believe he's here, he's ours, and he's my son.
How is He Doing? Little man is doing great! He was back to birth weight by Wednesday (1/31). But I mainly attribute that to the supplementing we were doing in addition to breastfeeding. I'll explain more when I type up his birth story, but it was recommended we supplement at first because of his small size and trouble regulating his blood sugar.
He's actually a great baby. Sure he cries and grouches, but only when he needs a diaper change, is hungry, or has a gas bubble stuck in his tummy. He's a wonderful cuddler and loves being held close to mom or dad. I think he smells pretty darn amazing as well. :)

How is he a week old already?! Congrats on all of you surviving - that's totally a win in my book! O is so cute! Love that squishy face and that tiny hand!
ReplyDeleteSurvival is HUGE. And you are more than just surviving - look at him!! You're doing a wonderful job, and he is just so precious!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations!!! What a cutie :)
ReplyDeleteHe is beautiful! Congratulations!
ReplyDelete